Wilkes-Barre/Scranton the first AHL team to reach 30 wins
Penguins (30-9-3-0) get set to face a series of North Division foes
Wednesday, Jan. 18 – PENGUINS 5 at Hershey 3
The Penguins downed their rivals at Giant Center thanks to a game-winning goal with exactly two minutes left in regulation by Carter Rowney. The win made the season series 6-2-0-0 in favor of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Friday, Jan. 20 – PENGUINS 3 at Lehigh Valley 5
Despite climbing back from a two-goal deficit in the third period, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fell short of a comeback victory against the Phantoms at PPL Center. Rowney tallied an assist to keep his point streak alive at five games.
Saturday, Jan. 21 – PENGUINS 5 vs. Hershey 1
For the first time in two weeks, the Penguins returned home to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. They beat the Bears in convincing fashion and saw multi-point performances from Ryan Haggerty, J.S. Dea, Tom Kostopoulos and Dominik Simon.
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, Jan. 25 – PENGUINS vs. Syracuse
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton faces Syracuse for the third time this month and fifth time this season. The Penguins hold the edge in the season series at 3-1-0-0, but lost the last meeting on Jan. 16 by a score of 4-1.
Friday, Jan. 27 – PENGUINS at Utica
The Pens take on the Comets for the first time this season. Last year, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton swept the season series with two wins. Utica currently sits fourth in the North Division.
Saturday, Jan. 28 – PENGUINS at Binghamton
In the second of back-to-back games, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will take on the Senators in their fifth meeting of the season. The Pens have won three of four against the Sens, the most recent on Jan. 7, 5-4, on the back of two goals by Danny Kristo.
– The Penguins became the first AHL team to 30 wins on the year after beating Hershey, 5-1, on Jan. 21.
– Carter Rowney’s four-game goal-streak achieved on Jan. 18 at Hershey was the longest of his professional career.
– Carter Rowney has at least one point in all six of his games since returning from injury and posted eight points (5G-3A) in that time.
– Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is 9-2-0-0 so far in the month of January and undefeated at home (4-0-0-0).
– Jean-Sébastien Dea is in the midst of a three-game point streak, during which he’s recorded two goals and three assists.
– Tom Kostopoulos is two points away from reaching 500 career AHL points.
|2. Lehigh Valley||40||27||11||2||0||56||.700|
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Jan. 25 Syracuse Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Fri, Jan. 27 Utica Utica Memorial Aud. 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Jan. 28 Binghamton Veterans Memorial Arena 7:05 p.m.
Tue, Jan. 17 (D) Cameron Gaunce Recalled by PIT
Fri, Jan. 20 (D) Michael Webster Recalled from WHL
Sat, Jan. 21 (D) Michael Webster Reassigned to WHL
Sun, Jan. 22 (D) Michael Webster Recalled from WHL