Anthony Peters steals the show in Penguins’ last three games
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (24-11-3-1) prepares for visits to Pennsylvania rivals
Wednesday, Jan. 17 – PENGUINS 4 vs. Lehigh Valley 1
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton extended its winning streak to a season-best eight games on the back of its top line: Zach Aston-Reese, Gage Quinney and Ryan Haggerty. Aston-Reese led the way with three points (1G-2A). Haggerty tacked on two assists to assume the team lead in points with 29.
Friday, Jan. 19 – PENGUINS 0 at Providence 1
The Pens couldn’t crack the scoreboard in Providence, falling, 1-0. The Bruins’ Tommy Cross scored the game’s only goal on a power play midway through the third period. Anthony Peters stopped a season-high 42 shots in the tough-luck loss.
Sunday, Jan. 21- PENGUINS 0 at Hartford 1 (OT)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton came out of the gate quickly with 21 shots in the first period, the most the team has generated in one period this season. Anthony Peters stopped 21 shots before the Wolf Pack’s Vince Pedrie ended the game 2:25 into overtime.
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, Jan. 24 – PENGUINS at Hershey
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton heads down I-81 to face-off against Hershey on Wednesday. The Pens are 4-0-1-1 against the Bears this season, and seven of their last 13 trips to Giant Center have required overtime.
Friday, Jan. 26 – PENGUINS at Lehigh Valley
The Pens take on the Phantoms at PPL Center with the Turnpike rivals’ season series tied at four wins apiece. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has outscored Lehigh Valley, 26-24, this season.
Saturday, Jan. 27 – PENGUINS vs. Binghamton
Binghamton visits Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza for the second time this season on Saturday. On Dec. 22, Jarrett Burton and Teddy Blueger both scored twice in a Pens 4-3 OT win.
– Daniel Sprong was reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Monday from Pittsburgh. Despite not playing in the AHL since Dec. 29, Sprong still ranks first on the team in goals (18).
– Ryan Haggerty’s next game will be his 200th AHL game.
– Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has outscored its opponents 27-12 since the calendar turned to 2018.
– Friday and Sunday’s contests were the first consecutive 1-0 decisions in franchise history.
– Since signing his second PTO with the Penguins this season, goalie Anthony Peters has a 1.50 goals against average and .944 save percentage in that time.
|3. Lehigh Valley||42||24||13||2||3||53||.631|
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Jan. 24 Hershey Giant Center 7:00 p.m.
Fri, Jan. 26 Lehigh Valley PPL Center 7:05 p.m.
Sun, Jan. 27 Binghamton Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Mon, Jan. 22 (RW) Daniel Sprong Reassigned from PIT
Mon, Jan. 22 (D) Jeff Taylor Reassigned by PIT from WHL
Mon, Jan. 22 (LW) Freddie Tiffels Reassigned by PIT from WHL