Penguins carry three-game win streak out of All-Star festivities
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (22-18-4-1) heating up as it hosts Cleveland, Bridgeport this weekend
Friday, Jan. 23 – PENGUINS 5 at Bridgeport 2
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton woke up early and got off to a hot start while cruising to a big win at Bridgeport. The Penguins took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission and were up 5-0 before the second period was seven minutes old. Teddy Blueger and Ryan Haggerty both struck twice for the Pens, while Joseph Blandisi buried one in his Wilkes-Barre/Scranton debut.
Saturday, Jan. 26 – PENGUINS 5 at Binghamton 4 (OT)
The Penguins fended off a furious comeback by the Devils, and Teddy Blueger sealed the win for the black and gold in overtime. Adam Johnson rattled off three points (1G-2A) as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton improved to 8-0-0-0 all-time against the Binghamton Devils.
Monday, Jan. 28 – AHL ALL-STAR CLASSIC
Ethan Prow and the Atlantic Division All-Stars made it to the Final of the 2019 AHL All-Star Classic’s three-on-three tournament, but fell in a shootout to the North Division, 1-0. Prow scored one goal during the event.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Feb. 1 – PENGUINS vs. Cleveland
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s first game out of the All-Star break is an Eyewitness News Fan Friday against the Cleveland Monsters. The Penguins are 3-0-0-0 this season against the Monsters, including two shutout victories.
Saturday, Feb. 2 – PENGUINS vs. Bridgeport
The Penguins take on the Sound Tigers again after beating them on their home ice in Bridgeport last week. The last 10 games between the Penguins and Sound Tigers have been an even split with five wins apiece, but the black and gold have a narrow advantage in goals scored over that stretch (33-32). Saturday is also the Penguins’ annual Pink in the Rink night.
– Penguins All-Star selection Ethan Prow has the third-most goals among AHL defensemen this season (13) and fifth-most points (32).
– Teddy Blueger’s overtime game-winner on Saturday was the fifth of his career, most in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton franchise history.
– Teddy Blueger has 10 goals and 16 points in his last 11 games, and he is now tied for the third-most goals in the league (21).
– Joseph Blandisi has goals in both of his first two games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
– Adam Johnson recorded five goals and five assists for 10 points in nine games during the month of January.
1. Charlotte Checkers (31-11-4-0, 66 PTS)
2. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (24-16-4-2, 54 PTS)
3. Lehigh Valley Phantoms (24-16-3-2, 53 PTS)
4. Providence Bruins (22-16-6-1, 51 PTS)
5. Springfield Thunderbirds (20-16-6-4, 50 PTS)
6. W-B/Scranton Penguins (22-18-4-1, 49 PTS)
7. Hershey Bears (21-20-0-3, 45 PTS)
8. Hartford Wolf Pack (19-21-3-2, 43 PTS)
Teddy Blueger… 45 GP: 21 goals + 18 assists = 39 points
Ethan Prow… 44 GP: 13 goals + 19 assists = 32 points
Adam Johnson… 45 GP: 14 goals + 15 assists = 29 points
Anthony Angello*… 43 GP: 14 goals + 10 assists = 24 points
Sam Lafferty*… 41 GP: 5 goals + 19 assists = 24 points
Tristan Jarry… 25 GP: 14-8-3 / 2.80 GAA / .909 sv%
Anthony Peters… 17 GP: 6-8-2 / 3.31 GAA / .888 sv% / 1 shutout
* = rookie
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Feb. 1 Cleveland Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Feb. 2 Bridgeport Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Fri, Jan. 25 (D) Will O’Neill Released from SPC