Upcoming weekend sees W-B/Scranton battle East Division foes
Fri., Dec. 20– PENGUINS 1 vs. Worcester 4
Worcester held W-B/Scranton to eight shots through two periods and built a three-goal lead before scoring a 4-1 triumph in Wilkes-Barre. Jimmy Bonneau’s first goal of the season, coming at 2:41 of the second, was the deciding tally for the Sharks. Nick Drazenovic tallied the lone goal for the Penguins, when he converted a penalty shot with 2:30 left.
Sat., Dec. 21 – PENGUINS 2 vs. Syracuse 1
Zach Torquato scored in his W-B/Scranton debut and Brendan Mikkelson netted this third game-winning goal of the season as the Penguins edged the Crunch at Mohegan Sun Arena. Evan Rankin spoiled Jeff Deslauriers’ shutout effort with 1:43 left in regulation, but the Penguins goalie otherwise made 25 saves for his 12th win of the season.
The Week Ahead
Fri., Dec. 27– PENGUINS vs. Norfolk
Norfolk snapped a four-game winless streak with a 3-1 victory over Adirondack last Saturday. The Admirals (14-11-1-4) are in third place in the division, four points behind the Penguins. Rookie John Gibson leads AHL goaltenders in minutes played (1310:41) and saves (624).
Sat., Dec. 28 – Penguins at HERSHEY
Since falling to the Penguins on Dec. 13, the Bears have won three of their last four to rise to fourth place in the East Division (12-10-2-3). Goaltender David Leggio picked up his first shutout of the season, making 44 saves in a 4-0 win against the Worcester Sharks on Dec. 22. Ryan Stoa ranks first in the league with five shootout goals.
- All three of Brendan Mikkelson’s goals this season have been game-winners. The first two each came in overtime.
- With two assists on Saturday night, Barry Goers registered his second multi-point game in the AHL and first as a Penguin.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is the only team in the league this season to not have lost when leading after the either period (1st: 8-0-0-0; 2nd: 9-0-0-0).
- W-B/Scranton has a record of 9-1-1-2 against East Division opponents.
- After Nick Drazenovic’s goal on Friday, the Penguins have now converted two out of three penalty shot chances.
40 Coal Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702 · 570-208-7367
© 2014 WBS Hockey LP. All Rights Reserved. Powered by CirrusLab