Peter Mannino made 16 saves for his second straight shutout and Spencer Machacek notched the game-winner at 7:38 of the first as the Penguins beat the Crunch, 2-0. Adam Payerl also picked up his third goal of the season later in the first.
Sat., Mar. 22 – PENGUINS 1 vs. Utica 2
Colin Stuart’s tally at 8:01 of the third stood as the decisive goal in the Comets’ 2-1 win over the Penguins. Chuck Kobasew’s power play goal in the second was the only blemish on a 22-save effort from Utica goalie Joe Cannata.
Sun., Mar. 23 – Penguins 3 at ALBANY 2 (OT)
Chuck Kobasew notched three-points (2g-1a) to lift the Penguins to a 3-2 overtime win over Albany at Boardwalk Hall. After Brendan Mikkelson evened the match at 2-2 with 1:04 remaining, Kobasew scored 1:22 into overtime to complete the comeback for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
The Week Ahead
Wed., Mar. 26 – PENGUINS vs. Providence
Providence (34-23-2-7) is tied for seventh in the Eastern Conference with the Norfolk Admirals with 10 games left on their schedule. Alexander Khokhlachev (51) and Seth Griffith (44) both rank in the top eight in points among AHL rookies.
Fri., Mar. 28– Penguins at NORFOLK
Sat., Mar. 29 – Penguins at NORFOLK
The final two meetings in the season series between Norfolk and W-B/Scranton come with the Admirals (34-22-2-7) three points behind the Penguins in the East Division. The Penguins blanked the Admirals in their last outing on Mar. 15, as Peter Mannino gathered his first shutout of the year in a 4-0 win.
- After posting back-to-back shutouts, Peter Mannino’s shutout streak end on Saturday versus Utica at 194:48.
- Andrew Abbett’s point streak now stands at eight games, during which he has totaled three goals and eight assists.
- Defenseman Brian Dumoulin is also riding a point streak of five games (2g-3a).
- Chuck Kobasew has scored in each of his first four games with the Penguins, compiling five goals overall.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s seven-game point streak (6-0-0-1) matched the season high set at the start of 2013-14.
- The Penguins have gone 7-1-0-1 in the month of March and have a magic number of 15 to clinch a berth in the Calder Cup playoffs.
40 Coal Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702 · 570-208-7367
© 2014 WBS Hockey LP. All Rights Reserved. Powered by CirrusLab