PENGUINS WEEKLY – 2/28/17
Penguins split weekend thanks to thrilling overtime win
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (38-15-3-0) will conclude seven-game road stretch with games at Hershey, Hartford
Friday, Feb. 24 – PENGUINS 1 at Utica 2
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton fell short of a third period comeback and dropped its fourth game in a row. Tom Kostopoulos netted the Penguins’ only goal in the game, a power play goal at 8:50 of the final frame. The Penguins’ penalty kill was a perfect five-for-five on the night.
Saturday, Feb. 25 – PENGUINS 4 at Lehigh Valley 3 (OT)
Barry Goers saved his first goal of the season for the perfect moment, burying the overtime game-winner that lifted Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to its first victory at PPL Center this season. The Penguins edged ahead to a lead in the season series, as well, 3-2-0-0. Kostopoulos scored again for his 20th tally of the season, securing the sixth 20-goal season of his career. Tristan Jarry finished the game with 34 saves, including three in overtime.
The Week Ahead
Saturday, Mar. 4 – PENGUINS at Hershey
After a rare six-day layoff, the Penguins renew their rivalry with the Bears. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has won six-straight against Hershey this season, and boasts an 8-2-0-0 record in 10 meetings in 2016-17. However, four of the Penguins’ eight triumphs over the Bears this season have come in overtime. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s Tom Sestito has seven points (3G-4A) in six games against Hershey this season.
Sunday, Mar. 5 – PENGUINS at Hartford
The Penguins take on the Wolf Pack for the first time since they met in the first game of the calendar year on Jan. 3. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton emerged victorious in that contest, 3-2, staying undefeated in four clashes with Hartford this season. In fact, the Penguins have averaged 4.75 goals per game in their four games against the Wolf Pack.
– With Saturday’s win, the Penguins improved to 22-3-1-0 in games when they had played the night before.
– Tom Kostopoulos became the 10th player in AHL history to have a 20-goal season at the age of 38 or older.
– Kostopoulos is the only member of the Penguins to skate in all 56 of the team’s games this season.
– Wilkes-Barre/Scranton boasts the best penalty kill in the league (86.3%).
– David Warsofsky leads the entire AHL with a plus-28 rating.
– Tristan Jarry has the second-most wins in the AHL (23).
– Jarry is one of only six goalies who have faced over 1000 shots this season.
|3. Lehigh Valley||54||34||17||3||0||71||.657|
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Sat, Mar. 4 Hershey Giant Center 7:00 p.m.
Sun, Mar. 5 Hartford XL Center 3:00 p.m.
Thu, Feb. 23 (RW) Danny Kristo Traded by PIT to CAR
Sat, Feb. 18 (RW) Josh Archibald Reassigned by PIT
Sat, Feb. 18 (D) Brett Stern Signed to PTO
Fri, Feb. 17 (LW) Christian Hilbrich Recalled from WHL