PENGUINS WEEKLY – 4/4/17
Penguins headed back to the postseason
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (47-19-3-1) is the first Eastern Conference team to clinch a playoff berth
Friday, Mar. 31 – PENGUINS 1 at Springfield 3
Ryan Haggerty’s third period goal spoiled the shutout bid for the Thunderbirds’ Sam Brittain, but the Penguins’ four-game winning streak came to an end.
Saturday, Apr. 1 – PENGUINS 3 vs. Lehigh Valley 0
For the second meeting in a row, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton posted a shutout against Lehigh Valley. Casey DeSmith made 26 stops for the first regular season clean sheet of his pro career. Frank Corrado notched his first goal as a Penguin, and Troy Josephs later earned his first pro goal.
Sunday, Apr. 2 – PENGUINS 2 vs. Utica 3 (SO)
The Penguins rallied with the goalie pulled to tie the game with 58.2 seconds left in regulation and sent the Sunday matinée to overtime. After a five-minute sudden death period came and went without any stoppages or goals, the Comets’ Curtis Valk scored the lone shootout tally.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Apr. 7 – PENGUINS at Lehigh Valley
The Penguins head into their 11th match-up of the season with Phantoms riding a two-game shutout streak against Lehigh Valley. They’ve also emerged victorious in their last three visits to PPL Center.
Saturday, Apr. 8 – PENGUINS at Hartford
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton looks to complete a season sweep of Hartford. The Penguins are 7-0-0-0 against the Wolf Pack this year and have outscored them 39-13 in that time.
Sunday, Apr. 9 – PENGUINS at Providence
The Bruins try to solidify their standing in a crowded Atlantic Division playoff hunt and even the season series with the Pens (3-2-0-0 vs. PRO). Providence has won 10 of its last 12 home games.
– Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is headed to the Calder Cup Playoffs for the 15th year in a row, the AHL’s active record.
– The Penguins have not allowed a goal to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in 155:38 of game time.
– Thirty-five percent of Teddy Blueger’s offense in his pro career has come this season against the Phantoms.
– David Warsofsky’s 14 multi-point games this season is tied for most among AHL defensemen.
– Wilkes-Barre/Scranton boasts the best penalty kill in the league (87.2%) and the top team save percentage (.920).
– Casey DeSmith’s 2.14 goals against average ranks fourth in the AHL.
|2. Lehigh Valley||70||44||22||4||0||92||.657|
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Apr. 7 Lehigh Valley PPL Center 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Apr. 8 Hartford XL Center 7:00 p.m.
Sun, Apr. 9 Providence Dunkin’ Donuts Center 3:05 p.m.
Mon, Apr. 1 (RW) Josh Archibald Recalled by PIT
Thu, Mar. 30 (D) David Warsofsky Reassigned by PIT
Thu, Mar. 30 (C) Oskar Sundqvist Reassigned by PIT
Thu, Mar. 30 (D) Ryan Segalla Reassigned to WHL