PENGUINS WEEKLY – 10/24/17
Penguins sweep weekend with two wins past regulation
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (4-2-0-0) used overtime to beat Laval and a shootout to dispatch of Hartford
Friday, Oct. 20 – PENGUINS 6 vs. Laval 5 OT
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton emerged victorious in its first-ever meeting with Laval in thrilling fashion. Daniel Sprong netted his first AHL hat trick, but it was the overtime goal by Teddy Blueger that sent the Penguins home with their third victory of the season. Tristan Jarry saved 28 out of 33 shots he faced to earn his first win of the season.
Saturday, Oct. 21 – PENGUINS 3 vs. Hartford 2
The Penguins rallied back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime and won the best-of-three shootout on a lone goal by Jean Sébastien Dea. Gage Quinney extended his goal-streak to three games with a goal in the first period. Jarrett Burton’s first of the year tied the game on a bar-down slap shot. Casey DeSmith improved to 3-0-0 on the season.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Oct. 27 – PENGUINS vs. Hershey
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will try to extend its winning streak to four games when it welcomes the Hershey Bears to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza for the first of 12 meetings this season. The Bears are off to an uncharacteristically slow start to the season (1-4-0-1) and have given up the most goals per game in the AHL (4.50).
Saturday, Oct. 28 – PENGUINS at Bridgeport
Bridgeport finished 25-13-0-0 at home last season, and are looking to make it two-straight victories on home ice when it welcomes the Penguins for the first time this season. The Pens went 5-0-1-0 in their season series with the Sound Tigers last year, outscoring them 23-12. However, Bridgeport has added the scoring prowess of rookie Scott Eansor to its arsenal, who is tied with Daniel Sprong for the AHL lead in goals.
– Daniel Sprong’s five-game goal streak tied Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s franchise record for goal streak to start a season, set by Tomáš Surový in 2003.
– Sprong leads the AHL in power play goals (5), is tied for the league lead in goals (7) and shots (29), and is tied for second in points (10).
– Including the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs, seven of Sprong’s 12 AHL goals have come on the power play.
– Casey DeSmith still has not allowed a goal at even strength this season, a streak that has lasted 117:45.
– Tom Kostopoulos is three games away from his 700th AHL game.
|2. Lehigh Valley||7||5||1||0||1||11||.786|
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Oct. 27 Hershey Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Oct. 28 Bridgeport Webster Bank Arena 7:00 p.m.
Tue, Oct. 17 (D) Chris Summers Reassigned by PIT
Thu, Oct. 19 (D) Zach Trotman Recalled by PIT
Mon, Oct. 23 (G) Casey DeSmith Recalled by PIT