PENGUINS WEEKLY – 1/2/18
Penguins kick off new year against division rivals and a new foe
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (18-10-2-1) to play three home games in four days
Wednesday, Dec. 27 – PENGUINS 4 vs. Lehigh Valley 5
Every member of the Penguins’ line of Garrett Wilson (1G-1A), Gage Quinney (1G-1A) and Daniel Sprong (0G-2A) turned in two-point nights in a wild and wacky back-and-forth game with the Phantoms. J.S. Dea had an assist for the third-straight game.
Friday, Dec. 29 – PENGUINS 5 vs. Hartford 1
Daniel Sprong led the way for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, collecting his second career hat trick and second career four-point outing. Anthony Peters recorded 27 saves for his first AHL win since Mar. 27, 2015.
Saturday, Dec. 30 – PENGUINS 2 at Hershey 1 (OT)
The I-81 Rivalry delivered another excellent installment with this tightly contested affair ending in Dominik Simon’s overtime game-winner on the same day he was reassigned by Pittsburgh. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton improved to 9-2-1-1 in its last 13 visits to Giant Center with the win.
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, Jan. 3 – PENGUINS vs. Bridgeport
The Penguins will try and put more distance between them and the team directly behind them in the Atlantic Division standings. This will be Bridgeport’s first trip to Northeast PA this season. The season series is tied at one win apiece.
Friday, Jan. 5 – PENGUINS vs. Springfield
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton rallied for a 6-3 comeback victory in the only meeting of the season between these two clubs. Springfield has dropped three-straight decisions at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Saturday, Jan. 6 – PENGUINS vs. Belleville
Saturday marks the first ever match-up between the Penguins and Belleville Senators. Despite being sixth in the North Division, Belleville is 5-2-0-1 against the Atlantic so far.
– Penguins forward Christian Thomas captured the Spengler Cup as a member of Team Canada on Sunday. Canada has now won the tournament three years in a row.
– Kevin Czuczman has an assist on four of the Penguins five overtime game-winning goals this season.
– Since being signed to a second PTO by Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, goalie Anthony Peters has only allowed two goals in 122:43.
– Colin Smith played in his 300th AHL game on Friday, and Jarred Tinordi played in his 300th professional game on Saturday.
– The Penguins have a 7-3 record in games that have gone beyond regulation (overtime or shootout) this season.
|2. Lehigh Valley||35||21||10||2||2||46||.657|
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Jan. 3 Bridgeport Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Fri, Jan. 5 Springfield Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Jan. 6 Belleville Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Tue, Jan. 2 (LW) Cody Wydo Recalled from WHL
Tue, Jan. 2 (RW) Reid Gardiner Recalled from WHL
Mon, Jan. 1 (G) Casey DeSmith Reassigned by PIT
Mon, Jan. 1 (D) Andrey Pedan Reassigned by PIT
Mon, Jan. 1 (LW) Garrett Wilson Reassigned by PIT
Mon, Jan. 1 (RW) Dominik Simon Recalled by PIT