PENGUINS WEEKLY – 2/12/19
Penguins return home for Military Appreciation Night on Saturday
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (24-21-4-1) readies for a series of important games
Wednesday, Feb. 6 – PENGUINS 1 at Rockford 2 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton unleashed 46 shots on goal, but were stonewalled by Rockford’s goalie. Jarrett Burton scored in the first period, but Anton Forsberg denied 19 shots in the second and 20 in the third to steal two points away from the Penguins.
Friday, Feb. 8 – PENGUINS 5 at Milwaukee 2 Sam Lafferty struck twice on the power play to help propel the Penguins to a bounce-back victory. It was the first multi-goal game of Lafferty’s career while Joseph Blandisi, Sam Miletic, Ethan Prow and Kevin Czuczman all chipped in with two points.
Saturday, Feb. 9 – PENGUINS 1 at Grand Rapids 4 The Penguins entered the third period even with the Griffins, 1-1, but Grand Rapids got the upper hand in the final frame. Michigan native Sam Miletic scored the Pens’ lone goal of the game following a setup by Joseph Blandisi and Ethan Prow.
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, Feb. 13 – PENGUINS at Hershey Wilkes-Barre/Scranton renews its rivalry with Hershey in what promises to be an intense matchup. Desperate to reinsert themselves into the Atlantic Division’s playoff picture, the Bears have gone on a 12-game point streak (11-0-0-1).
Saturday, Feb. 16 – PENGUINS vs. Utica MetLife presents Military Appreciation Night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza as the Penguins host the Comets for the first and only time this season. Utica’s Reid Boucher has 14 points (6G-8A) in his last 10 games.
Sunday, Feb. 17 – PENGUINS at Hartford The Pens close out the week against the East’s last place team. The Wolf Pack may have lost 10 of their last 11 games, but Peter Holland ranks tied for seventh in league scoring (47 PTS).
– Ethan Prow’s point streak came to an end at Rockford at 10 games (5G-7A), the longest streak by an AHL defenseman this season and the longest streak by a blueliner in team history.
– Prow is in a four-way tie for the second-most points by AHL defensemen this season (37).
– Sam Miletic became the sixth Penguin to score a shorthanded goal when he potted the first of his career on Saturday.
– Joseph Blandisi has nine points (4G-5A) in his first seven games played with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
– John Muse has won his last three starts with the Penguins and owns a .936 save percentage on the season, tops among AHL goalies who have played at least 100 minutes this season.
1. Charlotte Checkers (32-13-6-1, 71 PTS)
2. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (28-18-4-2, 62 PTS)
3. Providence Bruins (26-17-6-1, 59 PTS)
4. Lehigh Valley Phantoms (26-19-3-2, 57 PTS)
5. Hershey Bears (26-20-0-3, 55 PTS)
6. W-B/Scranton Penguins (23-19-4-1, 51 PTS)
7. Springfield Thunderbirds (21-20-6-4, 52 PTS)
8. Hartford Wolf Pack (20-25-3-3, 46 PTS)
Teddy Blueger^… 45 GP: 21 goals + 18 assists = 39 points
Ethan Prow… 49 GP: 15 goals + 22 assists = 37 points
Adam Johnson… 50 GP: 14 goals + 17 assists = 31 points
Sam Lafferty*… 44 GP: 7 goals + 19 assists = 26 points
Anthony Angello*… 47 GP: 15 goals + 10 assists = 25 points
Tristan Jarry… 27 GP: 15-9-3 / 2.75 GAA / .912 sv%
Anthony Peters… 19 GP: 6-10-2 / 3.28 GAA / .890 sv% / 1 shutout
* = rookie
^ = currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Feb. 13 Hershey Giant Center 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Feb. 16 Utica Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sun, Feb. 17 Hartford XL Center 3:00 p.m.
Wed, Feb. 6 (G) Tristan Jarry Recalled by PIT
Wed, Feb. 6 (G) John Muse Reassigned by PIT from WHL
Sat, Feb. 9 (G) Tristan Jarry Reassigned by PIT
Mon, Feb. 11 (LW) Troy Josephs Released from SPC