PENGUINS WEEKLY – 2/28/23
Outdoor Classic awaits Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in Cleveland
WEEKLY – Penguins (22-22-3-5) to play second outdoor game in team history on Saturday
Penguins Weekly Rewind
Wednesday, Feb. 22 – PENGUINS 4 vs. Lehigh Valley 3
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton rallied from down 2-0 to snap its losing streak against Lehigh Valley. The Penguins scored three goals in under three minutes during the third period, shocking the visiting Phantoms.
Friday, Feb. 24 – PENGUINS 2 at Syracuse 3
Alex Nylander scored a power-play goal for the fourth-straight game and tacked on an extra-attacker goal late, but the team failed to pull off a second consecutive third-period comeback.
Saturday, Feb. 25 – PENGUINS 1 vs. Belleville 2 (OT)
Stymied by Belleville goalie Dylan Ferguson for most of the night, the Penguins managed to secure a point by forcing overtime. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton generated 39 shots, but it took until there was 2:08 left in regulation for Tyler Sikura to break though and tie things up.
The Weekly Ahead
Wednesday, Mar. 1 – PENGUINS at Hershey
The Penguins and Bears wrap up their 12-game season series at Giant Center. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has beaten Hershey six times this season. Six of the previous 11 matchups went to OT.
Saturday, Mar. 4 – PENGUINS at Cleveland
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton takes its game outside, cozying up on the shores of Lake Erie to take on the Cleveland Monsters. Puck drops at 1:00 p.m. at FirstEnergy Stadium, home of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns. Tickets for the Cleveland Monsters Outdoor Classic can be found at clevelandmonsters.com/outdoor.
Sunday, Mar. 5 – PENGUINS at Cleveland
In the second game of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton’s annual Dad’s Trip, the Penguins and Monsters step back indoors for a rematch. The Pens are 13-2-0-1 all-time against the Monsters, including wins of 5-1 and 8-1 this season.
– Since the All-Star Break, seven of the Penguins’ eight games have been decided by one goal.
– Alex Nylander has 12 power-play goals, second-most in the AHL.
– In February, the Penguins’ power play went 13-for-44 (29.5%), best in the league.
– Saturday will be the 11th outdoor game in AHL history, but the league’s first since Jan. 20, 2018.
– Saturday will be the first outdoor professional hockey game in the city of Cleveland’s history.
– Wilkes-Barre/Scranton previously participated in the 2013 AHL Outdoor Classic at Hersheypark Stadium, defeating the Hershey Bears in overtime, 2-1.
* = rookie
x = currently with Pittsburgh
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Mar. 1 Hershey Giant Center 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Mar. 4 Cleveland FirstEnergy Stadium 1:00 p.m.
Sun, Mar. 5 Cleveland Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse 3:00 p.m.
Sun, Feb. 26 (D) Chris Ortiz Reassigned to WHL
Sun, Feb. 26 (RW) Justin Addamo Released from PTO
Mon, Feb. 27 (D) Andrew Nielsen Signed to PTO