PENGUINS WEEKLY – 3/28/23
Three-game week culminates in Old Forge Pizza Night on Apr. 1
WEEKLY – Penguins (25-27-6-5) remain seven points out of a playoff spot with nine games remaining
Penguins Weekly Rewind
Saturday, Mar. 25 – PENGUINS 2 vs. Lehigh Valley 3 (OT)
The Penguins and Phantoms engaged in a neck-and-neck game that ended with Lehigh Valley taking the extra point 37 seconds into overtime. Drake Caggiula opened the scoring three minutes into the game, and Josh Maniscalco added his first AHL goal at 5:44 of the second period.
Sunday, Mar. 26 – PENGUINS 1 vs. Hartford 5
Hartford scored 16 seconds into the night and didn’t look back. Jonathan Gruden delivered the Penguins’ only goal with a man-advantage marker midway through the third period, but no comeback was in the cards against the Wolf Pack.
The Weekly Ahead
Wednesday, Mar. 29 – PENGUINS vs. Providence
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton takes on Providence for the fifth time this season and for the last time at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. The Bruins have already clinched a spot in the playoffs and are looking to lock up the East’s top seed by continuing their seven-game winning streak.
Friday, Mar. 31 – PENGUINS at Lehigh Valley
The Penguins wrap up their season series with the Phantoms by paying one final visit to PPL Center. Lehigh Valley has the narrow edge in the series, winning six of the previous 11 matchups, but the road team is 7-2-0-2 (.727) in those games.
Saturday, Apr. 1 – PIZZAS vs. Syracuse
On Saturday, the Penguins will change their name to the Old Forge Pizzas in honor of the Northeast Pennsylvania delicacy. The Pizzas’ arrival also comes with special, one-night-only logos, uniforms and merchandise. All three games between Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Syracuse this season have been decided by one goal, with each of those narrow decisions going to the Crunch.
– Since Jan. 28, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has the No. 1 power play in the AHL at 27.8%.
– Drake Caggiula has 10 points (6G-4A) in his last nine games.
– Jonathan Gruden has six points (3G-3A) in his last five games.
– Caggiula has scored first to start a game seven times this season, tied for third-most opening goals in the league.
– Of Taylor Gauthier’s 16 AHL starts, eight of those games have reached overtime.
– On Tuesday, the Penguins signed defenseman and University of Denver captain Justin Lee to an AHL contract for 2023-24. Lee will join the Penguins immediately on an ATO.
* = rookie
x = currently with Pittsburgh
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Wed, Mar. 29 Providence Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Fri, Mar. 31 Lehigh Valley PPL Center 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Apr. 1 Syracuse Mohegan Sun Arena 6:05 p.m.
Sun, Mar. 26 (LW) Jordan Frasca Reassigned by PIT from WHL
Sun, Mar. 26 (D) Louie Roehl Signed to PTO
Sun, Mar. 26 (G) Tommy Nappier Reassigned to WHL
Tue, Mar. 28 (D) Justin Lee Signed to ATO